Finances and visa forms

To study at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln on an F-1 (student) or J-1 (exchange visitor) visa, you will need a Form I-20 or Form DS-2019 from the University for your visa interview and for entering the United States.

After Admission: I-20/DS-2019 Request

If you are admitted, Graduate Studies will ask you to submit a New International Graduate Student I-20/DS-2019 Request. This form confirms, completes, and updates the information necessary for your Form I-20 or Form DS-2019.

SEVIS Transfer for F-1

If you have enrolled at or graduated from another U.S. school within the last five months, be sure to indicate this on your form. SEVIS requires that you ask your other school to release your record. For more information, refer to ISSO: Transfer Student.

Financial Resources

The Request form requires an upload for financial documentation. SEVIS allows us to create your I-20 or DS-2019 only after we verify that you will have sufficient funds for the first nine-month academic year. Funding for graduate study typically comes from one or more of the following sources: personal or family sources, graduate assistantship, or scholarship from a university or government agency in the student's home country.

You will need to upload either (A) an assistantship offer letter that meets the minimum funding amount or (B) a completed Financial Resource Certification (FRC) with supporting documents. See Request form and chart below for specific dollar amounts and other details.

For international students only:
Estimated expenses for the 2024-2025 academic year
AmountExpense Category
* $ 21,000 University Tuition & Fees (estimated)
* Add differential tuition if applicable:
  • Add $5,202 for engineering programs.
  • Add $4,248 for business programs (including accountancy, actuarial science, economics, finance, management, and marketing).
  • Add $19,778 for Master of Architecture.
$ 876 Books & Supplies
$ 3,910 Health Insurance (required unless privately insured)
$ 16,108 Room & Board (on-campus, 9 months)
$ 3,934 Miscellaneous (laundry, transportation, clothing)
* $ 45,828 TOTAL
Amount may increase depending on number of credits taken and lifestyle.
$ 800 - $ 5,400 Summer Tuition & Fees (approx.)
$ 6,580 Summer Room & Board (on-campus)
$ 5,031 Spouse Maintenance
$ 2,934 Child Maintenance (per child)

This budget covers the 9-month academic year for a single student living on campus. Students may anticipate an increase in the estimated cost each year.

Next Steps

If you are not currently in the U.S., take the I-20 or DS-2019 with your Letter of Admission to the U.S. embassy where you will apply for a visa.

For the best information and advice on applying for a student visa, consult the Education USA resources from the U.S. Department of State.

After you arrive in Nebraska, remember your enrollment requirements:

  • All students on F-1 or J-1 visas must be enrolled full-time (9 or more credit hours per semester) during the academic year (fall and spring semesters) to maintain legal immigration status.
  • If you plan to enroll for less than 9 credit hours in a fall or spring semester, first discuss it with the International Student and Scholar Office and a program coordinator in Graduate Studies.
  • Summer enrollment may be optional depending on when you start or complete your program.