Application Requirements: Additional Details

Graduate Application for Admission

These tabs supplement information found on the Steps to Admission page and Program Summaries.

Application Status

After you've submitted your application, you'll be able to use your Activity page to check its status and (if applicable) manage your recommenders.

MyRED's Admissions > Graduate page also displays application information, but with less detail.

Application Fee

An application and application fee are required for all degree, graduate certificate, visiting, endorsement and non-degree seeking applicants. The Office of Graduate Studies does not issue application fee waivers. Departments may elect to cover the cost of the application fee. Applicants must contact the program they are applying to in order to request an application waiver. Application fees are non-refundable and non-transferable.


  • $50 – All applicants not currently enrolled at UNL
  • $25 – Currently enrolled UNL students (graduate and undergraduate)


  • United States military personnel. This applies to the service member (active-duty military, guard, veteran, or reserve), spouse and/or dependents.
  • Current Pell Grant recipients
  • McNair Scholars
  • Big Ten Academic Alliance FreeApp applicants who meet BTAA eligibility requirements and have participated in an undergraduate Summer Research Program on a BTAA campus.
  • AmeriCorps Alumni or Dependent
Exemption CategoryDocumentation Required
United States Military Personnel DD214, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE), or Military Orders. Please redact or obscure your Social Security Number before uploading.
Current Pell Grant Recipients Student Aid Report.
McNair Scholars Certification of McNair Participation Form
Big Ten Academic Alliance FreeApp Must apply through BTAA (link above)
AmeriCorps Alumni or Dependent Certification of Service Letter

Social Security Numbers

Protecting our students' personal information is very important to us.

We request the Social Security number (SSN) once from new applicants, store it securely in a location accessible only by authorized personnel, and issue each individual a University of Nebraska NUID number. The NUID number, not the SSN, is used to identify students at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

Why the University uses SSNs

The SSN is required by the federal government for reporting related to taxes, employment, and financial aid.

If the University does not have a SSN on file for a student, that student:
  • Cannot receive University payments for assistantships or fellowships.
  • Cannot defer student loans or get financial aid.
  • Will be subject to a $50 IRS penalty if a Form 1098-T is generated without a valid SSN.

Once you've provided your SSN to the University, you shouldn't need to provide it to us again. If you already have an NUID number, we encourage you to use your NUID instead of your SSN in any communication with us.

Students without SSNs

International (non-resident alien) students usually do not have SSNs. They will need SSNs if they are granted fellowships or assistantships or are otherwise employed by the University. Those students will be able to get SSNs after arriving on campus.

Applying to Multiple Programs

Students may apply to multiple programs but can be admitted to only one program unless a dual degree program has been established. When applying to two or more degree programs, submit an application and a $50 application processing fee for each program.

Academic Transcripts

Transcripts are required from each college-level institution attended, listing courses completed, marks earned, and degrees conferred.

Upload your unofficial (electronic) transcripts as part of your application; have your official transcripts sent to Nebraska only after we ask for them.

Part 1: On your application, list schools attended and upload transcripts

Uploaded transcripts are unofficial but sufficient for application review. We do not accept transcripts by email or fax.

Identify student and school

Student name and school name must appear on transcript.

We encourage you to redact your SSN prior to upload; otherwise we redact SSNs upon receipt.

One file per school/degree

For each school/degree, put all records (marks sheets, English translations, degree certificates) in 1 file. Records from 2 schools must be 2 separate files.

If records issued by a school are not in English, your file must include original-language documents plus certified English translations of all pages. Translations should be word-for-word and in the same layout as the originals.

International transfers

F-1 applicants who have recently attended any U.S. school should be aware of the SEVIS requirement for releasing your record to UNL upon admission to UNL.

Degrees in progress

Students working on another degree at the time of application to UNL should submit transcripts from their current degree program, even though the transcripts will not yet be final.

Final transcripts must be submitted once enrollment at the other institution ends. Transcripts indicating degree conferral are required if the degree is awarded.

Part 2: After you're admitted, provide official transcripts

Admission based on uploaded transcripts is contingent on receipt of official transcripts.  Students will be able to enroll only after official records are received. Official transcripts are required from all admitted and enrolled students.

Official transcripts must be sent from each institution directly to the Office of Graduate Studies, on paper or electronically.  See also: Guidelines for official transcripts from outside the United States, including CDGDC requirement for schools in China.
Academic records will be accepted as official only if they have been certified by appropriate university officials. Photocopies of certified documents are not considered official. Faxed documents, scanned documents, notarized photocopies, and copies made by translators or evaluation agencies are not considered official.
Admission may be rescinded if discrepancies exist between uploaded transcripts and official documents.


Application deadlines vary across academic departments and programs.

Degree or Graduate Certificate

To find the deadline for your program, locate your department's graduate program summary. We recommend submitting all materials to the Office of Graduate Studies at least one month before that deadline.

For degree programs with "Rolling Admission" or with no deadline, we recommend submitting all materials no later than:

  • January 7 to be considered for financial support in the coming academic year
  • March 1 for fall (August start)
  • September 1 for spring (January start)
  • February 1 for summer (June or July start)

For certificate programs with "Rolling Admission" or no deadline, submit materials at least one month prior to when you wish to enroll.


There are no deadlines for non-degree admission.

We recommend submitting all materials to the Office of Graduate Studies at least two weeks before you wish to register for classes. Refer to the academic calendar for dates of open enrollment, the last day to register without a fee, and the first day of fall and spring semesters as well as all summer sessions.